As we can not recommend the best installation method or dock systems for your needs, as it always a balance of your location, accessibility,abilities, needs, the number of volunteers and cash flow, however we have generated a short list of hopefully helpful hints. These considerations are to help provide you with the vision, insight and awareness to go along with the Installation, maintenance and enjoyment of the HitcHinge Products, durability, silent, self-supporting, and self contained, child and pet friendly gaps.
Things to consider:
1. The type of structure for attachment, example: wood, aluminum, steel, cement, stone etc.
2. The size of mounting hardware being used- ½” bolts, 3/8” bolts, 5/16" bolts or a direct weld on to aluminum
3. The HitcHinge utilizes over-sized round holes for mounting hardware,that are sized to receive and seize the square head of carriage bolts and over-sized for convenience of drilling for bolts.
4. The HitcHinge is engineered when working in pairs, to maintain loads of 4000 lbs, with a x3 safety factor
5. Consider the body of water, with the winds, storms, and wave activity, your location may be subjected to when considering attachment, hardware's, backing plate, throughout the dock structure
6. Consider your location, wind, waves, loads, anchors, tethers, floods, and river flows etc.., as all of this needs to be retained, at the discretion of the installer.
¾” or 19mm or ratchet wrench, or tire iron, or adapters for power tools in order to activate (tighten or loosen)) the HitcHinge all working down from above.
We recommend carriage bolts through all framework, single or multiple layers (recommended for strength)
We provide aluminum backing plates, corner brace and free board corner stabilizer brackets
See Product # BP, FBS, CFBS Products
Consider the Length of the hardware needed and add a little length to make assembly easier.
(Consider the location of Hitch & Hinge mounts, using two HitcHinge per segment docks jointed.)
(When layout is viewed, consider the location of internal structures, for best mounting locations for both the Hitch & Hinge attachment)
We provide a Hinge Half with a raised or lowered centre axis for alignment of decking surfaces in alternate frame materials
(Consider using a square to draw a two perpendicular and parallel centre lines, use these lines o layout centres of HitcHinge)
(Consider installing the HitcHinge with the top of hinge at flush with top of framework, or 1.5" down from decking's finished surface)
(Consider using deck screws through the centre alignment holes, on the scribes centre line for attachment while drilling holes)
(Consider double checking the intended locations for mounting, before drilling holes and tightening bolts.)
NOTE: the two segments should never meet!
(Consider gap reduction by extending deck boards 1.5" and create or leave an access hole over activation bolt.)
We have a Slip Coupler option with the ability to easily adjust your docks slip opening width to fit alternate sized boats. Part # 1/2-8, 3/8-8 or 5/16-8